The Canvas tool allows you to visually interact with selected text by capturing, organizing, and sharing your thoughts on any passage of any resource in your library.
Note: Available in packages Bronze and above.
Insert a verse, passage, or pericope, then use the markup tools to highlight, arrange, investigate, and add notes. Break down a passage to show the relationship between clauses, and draw lines and other shapes to indicate the level of connection. Bible text inserted into a canvas retains its connection to all of the sophisticated data tagging Verbum provides.
The Canvas tool is divided into four sections: the toolbar, the navigation menu, the canvas properties menu, and the main panel.
Open the Canvas tool in Verbum
Skip ahead to:
Use the icons on the Canvas toolbar to change the way the canvas is displayed. The following options are available:
- Hide or reveal the left sidebar by clicking the navigation menu icon .
- Zoom controls appear next to the navigation menu icon. You can select a zoom percentage in the box or click the zoom in and zoom out buttons.
- Next to the zoom controls are the undo and redo buttons.
- Click Insert Passage to search for a particular passage of scripture in any available translation and add it to the canvas for markup.
- Click the Draw freehand icon to open the freehand drawing view.
- Click Share to open the sharing menu, which allows you to make your Canvas publicly available or to share it with a specific Faithlife group.
- Click the Canvas Properties icon to open the canvas properties menu. For more about the options available in this menu, see below.
- The final icon on the toolbar opens the canvas panel menu . The canvas panel menu features several of the standard links, but also includes the option to Export as Image.
In the freehand drawing view, you can choose the color you want to use, select your preferred line thickness, and elect to either Discard your drawing or Add Drawing to the canvas.
Export as Image
In place of the standard Verbum Print/Export option, Canvas features the ability to export your document as an image. Clicking Export as Image from the panel menu opens a dialog allowing you to set the image's zoom percentage, borders, transparency, and more.
After selecting your settings, click Export. Verbum will process your export and open your operating system's file saving dialog from which you can set the file name, save location, and image type. You can choose to save your image as a PNG, BMP, JPEG, TIFF, or GIF.
The navigation menu is where the markup tools are housed. This menu features a search box to find particular shapes and expandable menus for:
- Favorites – Drag passages or pericopes to this section to store them for use later.
- Info Cards – Click any word in the text of the canvas to display a wealth of original language information about the selected text.
- Highlights – A variety of highlighter-styled markings in four color options.
- Basic – Commonly used shapes, lines, and arrows.
- Lines and Arrows – Lines and arrows, both straight and curved, stylized and simple.
- Hand-Drawn – Lines, arrows, and shapes styled as hand-drawn doodles.
- Shapes – All available shapes.
- Text – A variety of text effects.
Canvas Properties Menu
The canvas properties menu is where the canvas's display options are housed. This menu features:
- A field to edit the document title.
- Artboard Settings to modify the grid display, page borders, and background color.
- Options toggle on or off Connection Arrows, Connection Points, and Guides.
- Paper Size and orientation options.
This is the canvas you have been customizing through the toolbar and menus. It displays the passage and all the applied markups. The canvas updates as changes are made through the canvas properties menu. Objects from the navigation menu can be dragged to any position on the canvas.