Verbum workflows guide you through your investigation of biblical passages, words, or topics step by step. They help you to study the context of a passage, compare translations, discover key terms, read excerpts from top resources, and capture your thoughts in one place. You can quickly and easily create a custom workflow to fit your study and research needs. In this article we’ll show you how to create a custom workflow to use for your daily Bible study.
Skip ahead to:
- Build a Custom Workflow
- Add Custom Workflow Description
- Add Custom Workflow Content
- Edit a Custom Workflow
Building a Custom Workflow
- Open the Guides menu and click New > Make a new Workflow in the bottom right corner. This will open the Workflow editor panel.
- Choose which kind of Workflow you want to create. For our daily Bible study workflow, we'll select Bible Reference.
- The kind of Workflow you choose will affect what you can add to your Workflow. For example, look at the different choices on the Bible Reference Workflow and the Bible Word (English) Workflow below.
Note: Once the workflow kind is chosen, the template cannot be changed. This is because the workflow type affects how your workflow is built.
Add Custom Workflow Description
Fill in the top section with your name and a description of the Workflow. (This step is optional, since you may intend to keep this Workflow for strictly personal use. If, however, you want to share it with the Logos community, filling in these details will help others know what to expect when accessing it.)
In this example, we’ll make a workflow for “Morning Bible Study”.
Note: You can edit the name of the Workflow at any point by clicking the name and overwriting the existing name.
Add Custom Workflow Content
- Write a descriptive name for your first major step.
In this example, our first major step is, “Pray for the Holy Spirit’s Work”.
- Click Add under the first major step to include details about this step, add more major/minor steps, or add specific tasks to complete.
The Add menu features a search box so you can quickly find a particular task to include.
In our example, we'll add a Text reminder to pray and depend on the Holy Spirit and a Question/Answer to encourage thoughtful reflection.
The Add button reveals several options to include user-generated content, such as:
- Text — This section allows you to enter free-form text. Its intent is to give an overview of what the step involves, but you can enter whatever text you wish.
- Expandable Text — This section is the same as the one above, but it displays in your Workflow as a more >> link that will only display its content after you have clicked it.
- Question/Answer — This section offers a question and space below to answer it.
- Share Text — This section allows you to enter text (such as observations or reflections) and share it with others.
- Share Media — This section provides a link that opens the Media tool to a search on the person, place, passage, or event you entered.
- In our example, let’s build a new Major Step that includes Minor Steps. First, select Add, and then select Major Step (1, 2, 3…). Name this step, “Interact with the Passage”.
- Click Add below the second major step and select Minor Step (1.1, 1.2, 1.3…). Let’s name this minor step, “Read the passage three times”.
- Click Add below the minor step and select Read. Because your custom Workflow is connected to your Logos resources, you need only add the Read item, and Logos will automatically link your preferred Bible version.
The Add button includes several options to include specific tools or guide sections. Each of the available tasks will automatically display content on the person, place, passage, or event you entered.
Tip: Look at the Workflows included in Verbum for examples of what you may want to include.
- In our example, let’s add one final Minor Step. Click Add and select Minor Step. Name this step, “Consult Study Helps”.
- Let’s add these tasks to this final minor step:
- Question/Answer: Use the text box to add, “What verses could you use help understanding?”
- Question/Answer: Use the text box to add, “What did you discover?”
- Let’s add one final Major Step to our example. Click Add and select Major Step. Label this Major Step “Respond to the Passage” and include several question and answer prompts that encourage reflection on the Character of God, this passage in the light of Christ’s life and death, and personal changes.
Note: Each of the steps and tasks you add to your Workflow has its own panel menu icon . Click this icon to display a variety of options. There are different options for steps and tasks.Here are the options for steps:
Here are the options for tasks:
- When you have finished creating your Workflow, click Done in the upper right of the Workflow editor panel.
Edit a Custom Workflow
You can go back and edit the Workflow at any time. To do this, click Guides > Custom Workflow and then right-click the Workflow you want to edit. Click Edit.
You can also open the Workflow as normal, then open the panel menu and select Edit this workflow.
Verbum Help: Workflows
Verbum Help: Custom Workflows