Creating and submitting Diagnostic Information for Verbum
I have encountered a Problem or Error in Verbum and need to report it, or a Support Technician has requested that I send them log files.
"Verbum Bible Software (or Verbum Indexer) has encountered a problem and needs to close."
See also: What to do if Verbum Crashes & Report a Problem (Performance)
Tip: If your problem occurred during installation, please skip to Step 4.
Step 1: Enable Logging
- Close Verbum if it is already open.
- Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard.
- While still holding CTRL, open Verbum and wait for the "Sign in" window to appear.
- Release the CTRL key and click "Sign In", then try to recreate the problem.
Tip: Verbum will automatically open to a "blank layout," to prevent the home page or previous layout from loading and provide a more controlled environment. If you need to troubleshoot problems with a previous layout, open it from the "Layouts" menu.
Step 2: Collect your Logs
- Open your computer's Documents folder.
- Locate the "Verbum Log Files" folder.
- Right-click on the "Verbum Log Files" folder and choose "Send to Compressed (zipped) folder".
- A "Verbum Log Files.zip" should be created (".zip" may not be visible, but you can recognize it by the zipper on the folder icon).
Warning: If a Support Technician requested your logs directly, do not zip your logs. You can email them "as-is" to that Technician and skip Step 3.
Step 3: Write a Report
Email Customer Support with the following.
- Steps to reproduce the problem.
- What behavior you are experiencing when taking those steps exactly.
- What you expect to happen.
- Screenshots demonstrating the behavior.
- The Log file.
Alternatively, call Customer Support with the information at 1(800)875-6467.
Step 4: "Setup" Logging (Installation Problems)
If you experience an error running the Verbum Setup you will have to enable logging for VerbumSetup.exe.
- Save the EnableLogging.js script found here, to your Desktop.
- If you get a page of "code" when clicking the link, click the back arrow and right-clicking and use the "Save-as" option.
- Navigate to the Desktop and open the EnableLogging.js file you saved.
- Once you've enabled logging, retry the installation, then continue from Steps 2-3.
- You can later disable logging when the problem is resolved by using the DisableLogging.js script found here.
Tip: These steps can also be used to enable "Full-Time" logging, meaning Verbum will always record every session, each time over-writing the previous logs.
You can also submit your logs by email or by calling Customer Support at 1(800)875-6467.