The Canvas tool allows you to visually interact with selected text by capturing, organizing, and sharing your thoughts on any passage of any resource in your library.
Insert a verse, passage, or pericope, then use the markup tools to highlight, arrange, investigate, and add notes. Break down a passage to show the relationship between clauses, and draw lines and other shapes to indicate the level of connection. Bible text inserted into a canvas retains its connection to all of the sophisticated data tagging Verbum provides.
Note: The Canvas tool is available on iPadOS, Windows, macOS, and the Verbum Web app. Learn more about the Canvas desktop tool.
Open or Create a Canvas
- Tap the More Menu icon .
- Select Canvases.
Note: Alternatively, open the Canvas tool from the Docs menu .
- Open or Create (tap ) a Canvas.
The Canvas tool is divided into four sections: the toolbar, the navigation menu, the canvas properties menu, and the main panel.
Skip ahead to:
Use the icons on the Canvas toolbar to change the way the canvas is displayed.
The following options are available:
- Hide or reveal the left sidebar by tapping the navigation menu icon in the top left-hand corner. Learn more about the navigation menu below.
- Zoom controls appear next to the navigation menu icon. Tap to select a new zoom percentage in the box. You can also pinch to zoom in and out.
- Undo or redo your latest actions.
- Tap the plus icon to open a popup allowing you to search for a particular passage of Scripture in any available translation and insert it into the canvas for markup.
- Tap the Draw freehand icon to open the freehand drawing view. Choose your preferred color and line thickness. You can write with your finger or any iPad stylus (e.g., Apple Pencil). Once finished, either Discard your drawing or tap Add Drawing to add it to the canvas.
- Tap the Canvas Properties icon to open the canvas properties menu.
- The final icon on the toolbar opens the canvas panel menu where you can export your Canvas and more.
To export your entire Canvas document to an image, click the panel menu icon and choose Export image. You can optionally export a selection only if you first select a section of your document.
In the popup, you set a zoom level, add a border (optional), and choose to export a transparent background (otherwise the background will be white). Tap Export to save the image to your iPad.
Note: You can share Canvas documents from Verbum Desktop.
The navigation menu is where the markup tools are housed (tap ).
This menu features a search box to find particular shapes and expandable menus for:
- Favorites – Drag passages or pericopes to this section to store them for use later.
- Info Cards – Tap any word in the text of the canvas to display a wealth of original language information about the selected text.
- Highlights – A variety of highlighter-styled markings in four color options.
- Basic – Commonly used shapes, lines, and arrows.
- Lines and Arrows – Lines and arrows, both straight and curved, stylized and simple.
- Hand-Drawn – Lines, arrows, and shapes styled as hand-drawn doodles.
- Shapes – All available shapes.
- Text – A variety of text effects.
Canvas Properties Menu
The canvas properties menu is where the canvas’s display options are housed (tap to show).
This menu features:
- A field to edit the document title.
- Artboard Settings to modify the grid display, page borders, and background color.
- Options toggle on or off Connection Arrows, Connection Points, and Guides.
- Paper Size and orientation options.
This is the canvas you have been customizing through the toolbar and menus. It displays the passage and all the applied markups. The canvas updates as changes are made through the canvas properties menu. Objects from the navigation menu can be dragged to any position on the canvas.
At the bottom of the panel, you can insert, delete, rename, duplicate or switch pages in your Canvas doc.