With the Verbum mobile app, you can run basic and intermediate searches to scan through your open resources or search within your entire library for words or phrases.
There are two primary methods to search: the Search Tool and the Text Selection menu. While you can configure either method to fit any search need (see search options below), their defaults create specific search parameters.
This article will demonstrate how to search using both methods.
Searching from the search tool defaults to searching your entire library for any items.
- Tap the Search icon .
- A new search tab opens which shows you an abbreviated list of search helps.
- Tapping in the search box shows a list of recent searches and the parameters for your search. By default, the Search Tool is set to search All Passages in your Top Bibles. Learn more about changes in these parameters below.
- Provide a search term/phrase in the search field and press Search on your keyboard. View the search options below to get the most out of your searches.
If you are searching within the biblical text, your search results are displayed in three different ways.
- The passages view is the default and shows results within the passages of scripture in order.
- The aligned view shows in order like the passage view, but the passages are shifted so that you see the result in the same place in each passage.
- The fuzzy view will show you results that almost match your search. This is most helpful when searching for a phrase in the Bible but can’t remember the exact wording. It will also lead to other passages that may have a similar idea but different words.
While each search method defaults to help you run specific kinds of searches, you can configure any of the methods to fit any search need.
Set Searched Resource(s)
Depending on the search method you selected, a search resource selection will display at the top of your search (e.g., All, Bible, Books, Factbook). Tap the current resource selection to change it to one of the following options.
By default, the search parameters are set to Top Bibles and the range is set to All Passages (if you are searching in a resource other than a Bible, you will not be able to select a range).
Note that the Search Parameters window has two sections. The top section identifies the type of resource you’d like to search. The bottom section clarifies different kinds of searches within that type of resource. For Example, if you are searching in a Bible, you can specify your top Bible, top Bibles, all Bibles, all open Bibles, a specific Bible, or a collection of Bibles.
There are four types of resources you can search on Verbum Mobile:
- All: Searches your entire Verbum database.
- Bible: searches biblical text. Specify search parameters in the bottom section of the window (top Bibles, top Bible, specific Bible, etc.)
- Books: Search every resource in your Library.
- Factbook: searches all factbook entries related to your search.
Set Bible Passage Range
When searching a Bible or selection of Bibles, you can also set a passage range by tapping All Passages. Select a predefined range or tap the plus icon and add a biblical book or group of biblical books.
Use Search Operators
- Find a phrase containing all of the words: add multiple words with spaces between each (e.g., faith hope love)
- Find a phrase containing any of the words: add multiple words with commas between each (e.g., faith, hope, love)
- Find exact wording: surround any phrase with quotation marks to return only results with your precise phrase (e.g., “faith and hope”)
- Exclude a term from the search: add a hyphen before any word to exclude it from your search (e.g., faith AND hope AND glory NOT charity)
- Find references to a verse: a search data label and a verse reference with quotes (e.g., bible:“John 3:16”)
- Find word combinations: use operators like AND, OR, and AFTER (e.g., joy AND peace) to locate specific word combinations
Note: For more information on using search operators, check out the Advanced Searching section of the Verbum help file.
Text Selection Menu
Searching from the Text Selection menu gives you several search options from within the specific resource you are working in. This is helpful, for example, when you are studying a particular passage of scripture or book and want to dig deeper into a word or idea without having to leave that resource to find it!
To open the text selection menu, tap and hold a specific word or tap and drag over a phrase.
There are three ways to search from the Text Selection: Inline Search, using the search tool, and using the Info Cards.
Tap “Search Inline” to show results of where else that word or phrase shows up in this specific resource.
You can modify some of the search parameters, though the results will be confined to the current resource.
Tap Search to open the search tool preloaded with the term or phrase you’ve selected. See above for more information about the Search Tool.
Note: If you are searching for a biblical word, using the search tool from the Text Selection menu will show results that correspond to the English word used, not the original language.
Search via Info Cards
The Text Selection menu shows a series of info cards that correspond to data about the selected word or phrase. For example, if you select a word in the New Testament, you will see a Word Info card that shows the English gloss, the MSS, lemma, morphology, and Strong's number.
Tap the actions menu icon on the top right of the info card.
Multiple search options will show in a new window. The exact number depends on the resource you are searching within. From this action menu, you will be able to search for the word in its original language or open a Bible Word Study.