Homily Manager is a full-featured homily planning and archiving tool. Plan future homilies and series and view them in a list or visual calendar. Click any homily to open it in the Homily Builder and prepare your homily to preach. And then view your full homily archive in the manager to see any previous homilies you’ve given.
To open Homily Manager, open the Tools menu and click Homily Manager.
Pro Tip: To make it easier to find in the future, right-click Homily Manager and choose Pin to the top to pin it at the top of the tools menu.
Skip ahead to:
By default, the manager displays all your homilies in a grid. To show or hide columns, click the columns icon and check or uncheck the available columns. To limit which homilies display, add filters from the left (click if the filters are not visible), select a timeframe from the date dropdown, or search for a specific homily or series.
To limit which homilies display, add filters from the left (click if the filters are not visible), select a timeframe from the date dropdown (either calendar or liturgical), or search for a specific homily or series. To overlay a Faithlife group calendar, select it from the dropdown on the right.
Any homilies you’ve created show in Homily Manager by default. To add a new homily, adjust the parameters in the top bar and click Add. By default Homily Manager adds one blank homily.
To add multiple homilies at the same time:
1. Choose the amount of homilies to add.
Click the current number and choose as many as 100 new homilies to create.
2. Choose a template or lectionary (optional).
Create blank homilies or choose a homily template or a lectionary and season. Learn how to create a homily template below.
3. Add a date.
If you choose a day of the week your new homilies will be added on that day for the following weeks (e.g. Weekly on Sunday).
4. Click Add.
All added homilies are selected. To bulk edit, make changes in the homily info panel on the right and they will apply to all selected homilies.
Create a Template
To create a homily template, start a new homily document (Docs > New > Homily). Provide a name on the left and choose Template in the homily info pane. Add homily info that applies to all homilies that will use your template.
When adding homilies in the Homily Manager choose your created template in the homily template dropdown as shown above.
Edit Homily Details
Select any homily or group of homilies to make changes in the info pane.
The Homily Info pane holds important details about your homily. The more metadata you add, the easier it will be for you to find at a later date. If you use Faithlife to publish your homilies, this metadata will help others discover your homily and know what it’s about.
Note: If you don’t see the Homily Info panel, click the info icon to the right of the Add button to toggle it on.
If you publish your homily to Faithlife Sermons, the homily info you provide is indexed and searchable. Many of the input fields are preloaded with consistent naming conventions, like the topics and reference fields. This helps you stay consistent and avoid duplicate tags.
- Series: Provide a series title to add the homily to a series. Matching existing series show below as you type.
- Topics: Begin typing to show predefined biblical topics and themes. Select one from the list to add it to your homily details. You can add multiple topics.
- Passages: Add a biblical passage by typing and choosing the passage from the list below. You can add multiple passages.
- Description: Provide a couple of sentences describing the homily’s content.
- Private Notes: Unlike the other homily metadata, your private notes will not publish to Faithlife Sermons, but are visible to you when viewing the homily in Verbum.
- Speaker: By default, your name shows for any homilies you create. To change the speaker, provide a new name in the input field.
- Occasion: Add a date, venue (like a specific church or conference), and time (e.g., 10:00am Service).
- Audience: Provide audience segments like General Adult, Kids, Youth Group, Conference, or Other.
- Liturgy: Where applicable, add a liturgical day, season, and year.
To edit a particular homily, click the title in Homily Manager or select the homily row and choose Open at the bottom of the Homily Info pane to view and edit the homily document.
Note: Learn more about Homily Builder.
Share a Homily
You can share any homily document with a Faithlife group via the homily toolbar menu or the Docs menu.
Share via the toolbar
While viewing any homily, click the share button on the toolbar, click Group in the dialog that appears, and select your group from the To: dropdown menu.
Share via the Docs menu
You can also share any homily document from the Docs menu.
- Select the row (not the linked name) of your desired homily document.
- Click Share.
- Select the Group tab.
- Locate your desired group and click Done.
Note: Learn more about sharing documents in Verbum.
Select a homily (or multiple homilies) and choose Delete in the homily info pane.