Program Settings affect the behavior of Verbum as a whole, rather than individual resources or tools.
Most of the settings are Yes/No toggles that take instant effect. You do not need to save the changes, but a restart is required for some changes to take effect (e.g. changing the language). For more detailed information on any setting, hover over the option you want more details about and click the help icon that appears.
You can easily customize your Verbum preferences. There are three ways to do this:
Click Tools > Utilities > Program Settings
Type program settings in the Command box
Access them from the Panel menu
Some of the most frequently changed settings are described below.
- At Startup Open to allows you to set what happens when you open Verbum, whether to the Home Page, a blank layout, or a layout of your choice. See the article on Layouts for more information.
- Citation Style allows you to select a bibliographic citation style from among the available options (ie. APA, Chicago Manual of Style, MLA, Turabian, etc.).
- Language determines the language of the program’s menus, interface, and so on. You must restart Verbum to implement any change. Note: This will change the system language, not languages within resources.
- Show options (such as Show Alerts and Show Visual Cues) allow you to customize the way Verbum displays information and notifications within the program.
- Content Scaling affects the size of text in all resources. To adjust the size of text within a specific resource, open that resource and click the Resource Panel icon and drag the text size slider to the desired setting.
- Program Scaling changes the text size in menus.
- Resource Panel Background adjusts the shade and color of the background in resources only.
- If you are on a low-bandwidth or metered internet connection, adjust Automatically Start Downloads to choose when updates are downloaded and if the program will update automatically. Note: If you turn off automatic downloads, you will need to manually download updates as new resources are added to your library. (To manually update Verbum, type update now into the Command box and press Enter.)
- If your computer is low on hard drive space, you can change the default setting to Download New Resources to No. This will prevent your local installation from downloading newly added resources. Note: You can manually download new resources through the library. For more information on Cloud Resources and manual resource downloads, see this article.
- Show Community Ratings/Tags options toggle whether or not your Library resources will display information provided by the wider Verbum user community.
- Adjust these settings to change fonts and layout settings within resources (except for text size—see Accessibility above).
- Adjust these settings to change the way Verbum transliterates Greek, Hebrew, and Syriac. Transliteration is when a word from one language is written using the closest corresponding letters of another language.
- You can hide books you do not want to appear in your library.
Note: This does not delete the resources and it is different from removing resources from your local library using Cloud Resources.
- Contact Verbum Customer Support if you want to return a purchased resource.