You receive an error, "Verbum Bible Software (or Indexer) quit unexpectedly" or the Verbum application closes abruptly while opening or performing a specific task.
Note: It is not recommended to attempt these solutions unless the problem occurs more than once. Sometimes an external variable can cause a "fluke" or one-time crash. These instructions are intended to resolve a recurring issue.
Solution 1: Update Verbum
Most "crashes" occur if Verbum is out-dated and has not had an opportunity to auto-update. They can be avoided by manually updating or replacing the application file.
- Quit Verbum and open Finder.
- Navigate to the "Applications" folder.
- Locate the Verbum Bible Software application.
- Move it to the Trash (does not delete books or index).
- Download the latest version.
Tip: It is also recommended to run Software Update to ensure your Mac has all the latest updates from Apple.
Solution 2: Open Verbum to a blank layout
- Press and hold the Command key down.
- Open Verbum with the Command key still depressed.
- When the sign in window appears release the Control key and click "Sign in." (Verbum should open to a blank layout)
- To navigate to the home page click the house icon in the top left or use Verbum as you normally would.
Solution 3: Check Font Book for Corrupt Fonts
Verbum loads fonts from the Font Book when opening. If an incomplete or corrupt font has been detected, Verbum may crash while loading it. Use the steps below to check for and remove bad fonts.
- Download the MacFontTest Tool.
- Extract the FontTest application (if it didn't extract automatically).
- Open FontTest (use Control-click if you receive a warning dialogue about the file being created by an unknown developer).
FontTest will attempt to load all fonts in the Font Book. If a bad font is detected, an error will be displayed. Delete the last font loaded before the error, then repeat this process until no errors occur.
Below is an example of what will appear if the Mac FontTest Tool finds a corrupt font.
display name: CappioExtrafrisky
display name: Cardigan
display name: Caricature
Checking Carolus Roman
Bus error: 10
In the above example "Carolus Roman" should be removed from macOS' using the FontBook application in macOS' Utilities folder inside Applications.
Solution 4: Report the Problem
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please visit Diagnostic Logging for Mac to report the issue. Including specific steps you took to cause the crash will expedite the troubleshooting process.