Read this article if you experience any of the following:
- Hebrew or Greek resources appear to be blank or empty.
- Special characters show up as blank or squares.
- Lexham Discourse Markup does not display correctly.
- Verbum hangs (freezes) while opening or editing a text field or opening a layout.
Solution 1: Changing Fonts
Blank characters and squares are usually caused by fonts that do not contain the necessary Unicode glyphs for specific languages or characters. This most often affects specific words or special characters in modern language resources. You may need to change font settings to a supported Unicode font:
- Navigate to Tools > Program Settings
- Scroll down to the Fonts section.
- Change the font for the affected language.
- While troubleshooting, it is recommended to choose "Default" if this option is available.
If this resolves the issue, we can safely assume the font that was previously selected (usually "TrueType", 3rd party or stylized) does not support the language or text that was affected. You may want to avoid using that font in Verbum.
Solution 2: Refresh the Font Cache
If the Verbum hangs (freezes) or if entire resources appear blank (usually Greek or Hebrew books), this could indicate a problem with the "Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) Font Cache". It will need to be manually rebuilt to resolve the issue.
Step 1: End the Font Cache Service
- Go to "Start" or press the Start key on your keyboard.
- Type "Services".
- Select the Services app.
- Double-click on "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 184.108.40.206".
- Click the "Stop" button.
Step 2: Delete the Font Cache files
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local
- Note: AppData is a hidden folder. You may need to type it in the address bar or turn on "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options.
- Delete the "FontCache220.127.116.11.dat" file.
- If other cache files appear, you may need to delete them as well.
- Do not delete folders.
Repeat step 1, clicking the "Start" button, instead of "Stop", to rebuild the cache or reboot the computer to complete the process.
This should refresh the cached fonts and prevent the hang or blank resource issue. If this does not resolve the problem, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-875-6467 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.