This article is written exclusively for Carbonite and Time Machine, but the principles apply to any online or offline automated backup service.
Question: Do I need to backup Verbum?
A: If you have regular internet access you do not need to manually back up your software. Verbum saves a copy of your books, documents, and even layouts on our server (aka the "cloud"). So there is no need to back up your data through a 3rd party service. In fact, 3rd party backup applications, like Carbonite or Time Machine, can actually interfere with Verbum, so we recommend setting them to ignore the Verbum directory to prevent the problem outline below.
Verbum is unable to Open or Update while Carbonite or Time Machine is running and the following error occurs:
- "Verbum Bible Software has encountered a problem and needs to close."
- "Verbum Bible Software has quit unexpectedly."
- Close Verbum and any open error messages or windows.
- Right-click on the Verbum Bible Software icon and select "Open file location".
- Windows Explorer will open to your Verbum folder. In the Address bar, click the "Local" folder as pictured below.
- In the Local folder, Right-click the Verbum folder and from the Carbonite menu, select "do not backup this item," and close all open windows.
- Carbonite will simply skip to the next folder it needs to backup and Verbum should update and run correctly.
macOS: Time Machine
- Quit Verbum and close any open Error messages or windows.
- Open System Preferences > Time Machine.
- Click on "Options".
- Click the + to add an excluded item.
- Select the Verbum directory: \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Verbum
You may need to check the "Show invisible items" box to see Library.
You may see a number next to the word "Verbum" if you upgraded from a previous version.
- Click "Save" to finish and open Verbum.
These steps apply to the most common backup solutions on Windows and Mac respectively, and represent the concepts behind instructing "backup" program to avoid backing up Verbum. Precise steps for other 3rd party backup solutions may vary.
Remember, Verbum creates a backup for you automatically (an active internet connection required), there is no need to use a 3rd-Party backup program for your Verbum files.